This simple and tasty Cauliflower Cheese Soup is just 3 SmartPoints per portion on Weight Watchers Freestyle plan.
It’s simple to make, it’s filling, satisfying and a perfect warming lunch for those cold winter days.
The soup is thickened with a little potato and is packed full of cauliflower, a great source of Vitamin C.
If, like me, you find soup an easy low SmartPoint lunch, you may be interested in this Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup or perhaps this Carrot & Coriander Soup. This Pea Soup is also very popular and it’s only 1 SmartPoint per bowl.
If you like cauliflower cheese, you will love this Cauliflower Cheese Soup!
It is creamy and thick with a delicious tang of mature cheddar cheese.
By using a low fat mature cheddar cheese in this recipe you can use less cheese for a good, strong cheesy flavour, with relatively few SmartPoints.
I mixed 40g (approx 1/3 cup) of low fat grated mature cheddar cheese into the soup. This worked out at 3 SmartPoints for the cheese.
WW own brand low fat grated mature cheddar cheese works out as 2 SmartPoints for 40g.
However, not all low fat mature cheddar cheese works out as little as 2 or 3 SmartPoints per 40g. Just beware of this when choosing which cheese to use and alter the SmartPoint values accordingly.
In addition to sprinkling a pinch of grated cheese on the top of this soup before serving, I also added a couple of croutons for a bit of crunch.
Ten grams of the Valledoro mini croutons which I used worked out at 1 SmartPoint and for that you got 12 croutons!
Quite enough crouton to give a bit of added crunch to this tasty soup!
How to make Cauliflower Cheese Soup
This soup is just so easy to make.
- Chop the onion and potato into small pieces (Picture 1).
- Remove the outer leaves from the cauliflower and remove the stalk. Remove the florets from the inner stalk and wash them thoroughly (Picture 2).
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry off the onion until soft.
- Add the, chopped potato, cauliflower florets, stock, seasoning and milk to a big pan (Picture 3). Bring to the boil, reduce the heat before simmering (covered) for 30 minutes or until the cauliflower and potato are soft.
- Use an immersion hand blender to blend the soup till it is smooth and creamy.
- Alternatively, you could put the soup, in batches, through a blender for a really smooth soup!
- Add the grated mature cheddar cheese to the blended soup and stir till the cheese melts.
- Serve with a couple of croutons on top and a pinch of grated low fat mature cheddar cheese.
What I used to make this Cauliflower Cheese Soup
I use a hand held immersion blender, like this one available from Amazon, to blend the soup.
I used some of these Valledoro Crostini (available from the Co-op in the UK) to sprinkle on top of the soup. Ten grams of crostini worked out at 1 SmartPoint.
Alternatively, you could use Olive Garden Seasoned Croutons, available from Amazon, which work out at 1 SmartPoint per 7g / 2 tablespoon serving.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit this page to see what that means.
Can I freeze Cauliflower Cheese Soup?
Yes! Freeze this soup in a suitable container for up to 1 month.
Cauliflower Cheese Soup | Weight Watchers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 potato approx 100g - chopped
- 1 cauliflower approx 600g - chopped
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- 600 ml vegetable stock made with 1 stock cube
- 40 g low fat mature cheddar cheese grated
- croutons optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped onion and saute for 5 mins or so until it has softened. Add the cauliflower, potato, stock, milk and some salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. Place the lid on the pan and simmer for 30 minutes until the cauliflower and potato are soft. Remove from the heat.
- Use a hand held immersion blender to blend into a smooth soup. Stir in the grated cheese until melted. Taste and add more seasoning if desired.
- Serve topped with a few croutons and a pinch of grated cheese (optional).