Well, like it or not soup season is almost upon us! This Spinach and Pea Soup won’t make up for the lack of sun but with it being just 2 Smart Points on Weight Watchers Flex / Freestyle Program it won’t disappoint!
It is simple to make, it is full of flavour and it will really warm you up on those chilly autumn days. With a swirl of fat free Greek yogurt and a liberal grind of black pepper, it looks really pretty too!
I used baby spinach for this recipe but it doesn’t have to be ‘baby’! If you can’t find any, don’t worry, any fresh spinach will do.
I know that you may question why a Spinach and Pea Soup is 2 Smart Points per portion (when both spinach and peas are zero Smart Points on the Weight Watchers Flex / Freestyle program).
It’s because of the addition of potato in this recipe.
I tried making it without, but the potato adds a thickness and depth to the soup that you really can’t get away with leaving out.
The soup is thick and creamy (although it contains no cream).
Its warming and comforting, just what is needed on a cold autumn day.
What you need to make this soup
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
I used a stick blender like this one, available from Amazon.
If you want an silky smooth soup, put the soup through a blender like this one, available from Amazon.
Tips for making this soup:
- I used a stick blender to liquidise this soup but if you prefer your soup silky smooth, then you can always put it through a blender for added silkiness.
- You’ll notice that I didn’t swap out the olive oil in this recipe for spray oil (like I do in most recipes). Using a teaspoon of oil only added half a Smart Point per portion so I decided to stick with it!
- You can use fat free natural yogurt or fat free Greek yogurt to swirl through this soup before serving – both are great!
- Top the soup with lots of freshly ground black pepper for an amazing soup with a bit of a kick!
If you like eating your soup with a slice or two of bread, then take a look at these Low Point Breads.
More Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh … and don’t forget to share it via the share buttons!
Spinach and Pea Soup | Weight Watchers
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 5 spring onions sliced finely
- 1 garlic clove sliced finely
- 1 large potato - approx 250 g peeled & chopped into 1cm cubes
- 1 vegetable stock cube / bouillon cube make up with 600ml of boiled water
- 200 g baby spinach
- 200 g frozen peas defrosted
- black pepper
- 4 tbsp fat free natural yogurt optional
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the spring onions and garlic and fry over a medium heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Pour in the stock and add the chopped potatoes and simmer for 8 - 10 minutes (until the potato is soft)
- Add the spinach and peas and give the mix a good stir. Simmer for a further 3 minutes. Add a generous grind of black pepper and then using a stick blender, blend until the soup is smooth. If you want a super silky soup then you can put the soup into a liquidiser in batches.
- Serve with a swirl of fat free yogurt and more ground black pepper.