This Creamy Tomato Soup is just 2 SmartPoints per portion on Weight Watchers Freestyle & Flex plan.
A creamy tomato based Weight Watchers Soup recipe that is easy to make and is full of flavour! How great is that!
I’ve posted quite a few Weight Watcher friendly soups over the last couple of months!
But this lovely Creamy Tomato Soup is quickly becoming another favourite ????
It is easy to make and it’s also freezer friendly.
How I made this Creamy Tomato Soup
- When making tomato soup, you can’t beat fresh tomatoes! No tinned tomatoes here!
- Saute the onions and carrots till the onions are nice and soft – this takes 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic for a quick saute.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the cream cheese), bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until all the veg are nice and soft.
- Blend with an immersion blender.
- Stir in some creamy, low fat cream cheese.
Tips for making this Creamy Tomato Soup
- I recommend you using fresh tomatoes rather than tinned tomatoes for this recipe.
- Use a good quality kitchen knife for all that chopping! It makes things so much easier.
- I used Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese in this recipe.
- I used an immersion blender like this one to blend the soup.
Can I Freeze this Creamy Tomato Soup
Yes you can!
For best results I’d suggest freezing the soup before adding the cream cheese.
It will freezes well for a couple of months. All you have to do is whip it out of the freezer, defrost it and then reheat. Add the cream cheese (20g per bowl) once the soup has warmed through.
I like using reuseable bags like these for freezing soup.
What Bread can I have with my soup?
If you are from the US, take a look at this selection!
If you are from the UK, take a look at these choices!
Looking for more WW Soup Recipes?
- This 1 SmartPoint Thai Spiced Butternut Squash Soup is delicious & warming!
- This 1 SmartPoint Carrot & Lentil Soup is perfect for a warming lunchtime meal.
- Or how about about this 1 SmartPoint Butternut Squash and Red Chilli Soup?
Creamy Tomato Soup | Weight Watchers
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots diced
- 1 red onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 6 large tomatoes chopped
- 1 vegetable stock cube / bouillon cube made up with 500ml boiling water
- 3 basil leaves
- 1 tbsp tomato puree / paste
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 80 g light cream cheese I used Philadelphia Light
- basil leaves optional
- freshly ground black pepper optional
- 2 tbsp fat free yogurt optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the diced onion and carrots. Cook for 5 - 7 minutes, stirring to prevent the onion sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Once the onion has softened and has become translucent, add a tablespoon of water and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. This will prevent it from sticking further and burning to the bottom of the pan. It also will add to the flavour.
- Add the garlic and saute for one minute before adding the chopped tomatoes, stock, basil leaves, tomato puree, salt, sugar and pepper. Stir, turn the heat up and bring to the boil. Once it starts to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and place the lid on the saucepan.
- Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until it is smooth. Return the pot to the heat and add the light cream cheese. Stir until the cheese has melted and the soup is hot.
- Taste & season further if required. Serve immediately with lots of freshly ground black pepper, some basil and 1/2 tablespoon of fat free yogurt.