This Chicken & Bean Casserole is just 5 SmartPoints per portion on Weight Watchers Freestyle & Flex plans. Read on to see how you can reduce the SmartPoints even further.
This one pot, Chicken, White Bean and Bacon Casserole packs a lot of flavour. Serve with zero point vegetables for a very low SmartPoint dinner.
The casserole was inspired by a recipe that I tore out from a Sunday newspaper a couple of weeks ago.
I wanted to make it more Weight Watchers friendly, as pointing the recipe it came out as 22 SmartPoints per serving!
Many more SmartPoints than I am willing to use for a meal!
But, by swapping the chicken thighs to chicken breast, reducing the amount of bacon used and making a few other changes, I brought the SmartPoints down to a respectable 5 SmartPoints per serving.
In fact these Points can be reduced even further if you wanted. I have outlined how you could do this further down the page.
What is also great about this casserole is that it is a one pot dish!
So no big piles of washing up to do when making this casserole ????
My kind of cooking!
Anyhow, back to this Chicken & Bean Casserole! I serve it with zero point vegetables for a super low point dinner.
However, you could also serve it with potatoes or even rice for a few extra SmartPoints.
Either way you will have a delicious, low point Weight Watchers dinner!
What beans should I use?
- I have tried a number of different beans in this recipe and all were good. However, my favourite were Butter Beans (Baby Lima Beans) & Cannellini Beans.
- If you are interested in reading about the different types of white beans, take a look at here.
- Use bacon medallions instead of streaky bacon and reduce the SmartPoints by 2 Points per portion!
- Swap the oil for 10 sprays of 1 cal spray oil and reduce the SmartPoints by 1 SmartPoint per portion.
- Serve with a small portion of new potatoes for an extra 2 SmartPoints.
- Serve with a small portion of white rice for an extra 3 SmartPoints.
- How about serving with some butternut squash mash for no extra points per portion!
- If you don’t have fresh herbs you could use dried herbs instead. Just use half the amount of dried herbs than you would fresh herbs.
Other Chicken Recipes:
Chicken, Bean & Bacon Casserole
- 125 g streaky bacon chopped
- 6 shallots halved
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 3/4 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 200 ml white wine
- 300 g mushrooms chopped
- 1 tin white beans butter beans / haricot / cannellini
- 4 skinless & boneless chicken breasts each breast chopped in two
- Preheat the oven to 200oC / 180oC Fan / 400oF /Gas mark 6
- Place the chopped bacon, halved shallots, crushed garlic, thyme and rosemary in a casserole dish. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven for 20 minutes (stirring half way through).
- Remove from the oven and stir. By this time the bacon should have crisped up a bit and the shallots will have started to soften. Add the chopped mushrooms, white beans and wine, stir and return to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, add the chicken breasts and give the casserole a stir. Place back in the oven and roast for 20 - 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, stirring halfway through.