This Cherry Porridge, topped with a handful of crunchy pistachios, a spoonful of fat free yogurt and a drizzle of honey is just 7 SmartPoints per serving. Carry on reading for tips on how you can reduce the Points even further or simply jump to the recipe!
A 7 SmartPoint breakfast may seem like a lot of Points to use so early on in the day, but this breakfast will set you up well for the day and fill you up nicely till lunch!
On cold autumnal days I always fancy a big bowl of warming porridge, and today was no different!
After an early morning wet and windy dog walk, I arrived home, dried off, and whipped together this big bowl of deliciousness!
It always keeps me going till lunchtime (& often beyond!).
I tend to keep a bag or two of frozen sweet cherries in my freezer.
If you like cherries but haven't tried them yet, I can really recommend them! A handful adds a much needed sweet addition to lots of different foods.
I take a handful, zap them in the microwave and eat them with fat free Greek yogurt. I eat them on their own and best of all I eat them on top of porridge like this. Yum!
- For 1 less SmartPoint you can swap the honey for a sugar free syrup of your choice. Take a look at these Low Point Pancake Syrups for ideas.
- Omit the pistachios and save 1 SmartPoint.
- Many people make their porridge with just water & no milk. If you like your porridge like that, you can reduce the SmartPoints by 1.
Tips for making porridge:
- Use rolled porridge oats for a smoother porridge.
- Use the oats & liquid specified in the recipe. Once it has cooked you can stir in a bit more liquid to make a runnier porridge. Alternatively, if you like a thicker porridge, carry on cooking for a little longer.
- I like a really smooth porridge, so I stir it while I am cooking. This seems to break down the oats better.
- Many people swear by adding a pinch of salt to their porridge - try it and see whether you like it! I don't.
What porridge oats should I use?
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
I used Quaker Jumbo porridge Oats like these, in this recipe
More Breakfast suggestions:
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh ... and don't forget to share it via the share buttons!
- ½ cup rolled porridge oats (40g)
- ⅓ cup skimmed milk (80ml)
- ⅓ cup water (80ml)
- 1 handful cherries I used frozen
- 5 pistachios
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp fat free yogurt
- Place the oats, water and milk in a saucepan, stir and heat over a medium heat.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes, stirring so that you get a nice smooth porridge. After 5 minutes, you should have a smooth, thickish porridge. If you like you porridge a little runnier, add a little more water and stir. Likewise, if you like an even thicker porridge just carry on cooking until you get the consistency that you want.
- Spoon into a bowl. Add a tablespoon of fat free yogurt, some cherries and a sprinkling of pistachio nuts for crunch. Drizzle with a teaspoon of honey.