This hearty Blackberry & Apple Porridge can be served with a good drizzle of sugar free syrup for just 5 SmartPoints per portion on Weight Watchers Freestyle / Flex plan.
This creamy porridge is topped with grated apple and fresh blackberries. It’s then sprinkled with a little cinnamon and topped off with a drizzle of sugar free syrup! Yum ????
On days that I have a busy schedule and there is likely to be lots of temptation around, I try to make sure I have a filling breakfast. Something that will see me through to lunchtime without the urge to snack setting in.
This is one of those breakfasts. It is tasty, quick to make and is 5 SmartPoints per portion.
At the moment there are plenty of blackberries around. I’ve been picking them and using them fresh in this porridge but I’ve also started freezing them.
There are good instructions here on how to best freeze blackberries.
The combination of blackberries, apple and cinnamon remind me of blackberry and apple crumble! Imagine that for breakfast ????
Tips for making this porridge:
- Use rolled porridge oats, it gives a smoother porridge.
- Begin with the oat / liquid specified in the recipe. Stir in a little additional water towards the end of cooking if you like a runnier porridge. Cook for a little longer if you prefer a thicker porridge.
- Continue to stir the porridge as you are cooking it (to help the oats break down) for a very smooth porridge.
What I used in this recipe:
I used rolled porridge oats like these.
I used sugar free syrup like this one, available from Amazon.
- Swap the sugar free syrup for 1 tsp honey for an extra 1 SmartPoint.
- Use 1 teaspoon of agave nectar instead of sugar free syrup for an additional 1 SmartPoint.
- Add 2 teaspoons of maple syrup for an additional 2 SmartPoints.
- Can’t find fresh blackberries, use frozen ones.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit this page to see what that means.
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh … and don’t forget to share it via the share buttons!
Blackberry & Apple Porridge | Weight Watchers
- 80 g rolled porridge oats
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- 150 ml water
- 1 apple grated
- 20 - 30 blackberries
- 1 tsp cinnamon optional
- 2 tsp sugar free syrup
- Place the oats, milk and water in a saucepan over a medium heat and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes stirring often to give a smooth porridge. This makes a thickish porridge. If you want it a little runnier, you can add more water. If you prefer a very thick porridge, just continue to cook & stir till you get the consistency that you want.
- Spoon into bowls and top with grated apple, blackberries, a dusting of cinnamon and a little of your favourite sugar free syrup.