This easy roasted Carrot & Ginger Soup is a perfect lunch recipe for anyone following the Weight Watchers Plan.
It works out at 1 SmartPoint per bowl on the myWW Blue, Purple and Green plans.
To find out how many Personal Points this recipe will be for you & to track it in the WW App, click on the blue button in recipe card below!
Next to zero point soups, one point soups are my favourite kind of Weight Watchers soup! Plenty of SmartPoints left for bread to dunk 😀
If, like me, you believe that no soup is complete without a slice or two of bread for dunking then you may be interested in this popular list of Low Point Breads.
This Carrot & Ginger soup is made by roasting carrots in the oven with a sprinkling of spices.
The roasted carrots are then added to stock (vegetable or chicken - whichever you prefer) and a touch of ginger to give it a little zing. It is then simmered until the carrots are tender!
This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
It's simple to make and although the recipe here is for two servings it's very easy to batch cook and freeze if that's what you like to do.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes you can.
I tend to use reusable freezer bags like these from Amazon. I portion out the soup and freeze it.
I remove it from the freezer (usually the night before I want to eat it) and leave it to defrost before reheating it for an easy WW friendly lunch or snack.
SmartPoints in Carrot & Ginger Soup
As I am sure you know, Weight Watchers changed their program at the end of 2019. It now includes 3 individual plans, giving anyone following the WW program lots of choice about how they use their SmartPoint allocation.
Using the official WW recipe builder I have worked out the SmartPoints for this Carrot & Ginger Soup for each of the plans. I have also included the old Freestyle plan points incase anyone is still following that plan (basically the same as the Blue plan)
- myWW Blue plan - 1 SmartPoint per portion
- myWW Purple plan - 1 SmartPoint per portion
- myWW Green plan - 1 SmartPoint per portion
- Freestyle plan - 1 SmartPoint per portion
Other Weight Watchers Soup Recipes
Carrot & Ginger Soup | Weight Watchers
- 4 medium carrots chopped
- 1 tsp minced ginger if using fresh this is approx one thumb sized piece, peeled and minced
- 10 sprays of calories controlled spray oil such as Pam or Frylight
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 vegetable or chicken stock cube/bouillon cube made up with 3⅓ cups / 800ml water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 180°C fan / 400° F
- Cut up the carrots into chunks and place them in a baking dish / roasting tin.
- Spray with a little calorie controlled oil - about 5 sprays should do.
- Sprinkle over the turmeric and cumin seeds and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the carrots from the oven.
- Crumble the stock cube / bouillon cube into a jug and add 800ml of boiling water. Stir until the cube dissolves.
- Use 5 sprays of calorie controlled oil in the bottom of a large saucepan and heat over a low to medium heat. Add the ginger and stir before adding the roasted carrots and the stock.
- Bring the mixture to a slow simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender enough that you can easily pierce them with a knife.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Place the soup into a blender and blend until nice and smooth. You may need to do this in batches depending on the size of your blender. You could also use an immersion blender to do this if you prefer.
- If the soup is too thick for your liking you can always add a little more boiling water at this point.
- Pour back into the saucepan, season with salt and black pepper and warm through before serving.