When you are looking for a Zero Smart Point dessert, this Gooseberry Fool will hit the spot! Who says you can’t eat sweet and creamy desserts when on the Weight Watchers Freestyle / Flex plan.
This creamy, yogurt based Gooseberry Fool is zero Smart Points on Weight Watchers Freestyle / Flex plan. It is sweet, thick and delicious. You’d never guess it is a Weight Watchers friendly dessert.
Gooseberries have a short season in the UK, so when they are available I always pick up a couple of punnets and make a Gooseberry Fool. You can buy frozen gooseberries and they do work well in this recipe, but there is nothing quite as good as using fresh, plump gooseberries.
I have made this recipe a number of times and have found some batches of gooseberries so much tarter then others. It is therefore been quite tricky to put an exact amount of sweetener in the ingredient list for this recipe. I would suggest that it is best to start off with 3 tablespoons and then add more to taste.
- This Gooseberry Fool is a three ingredient recipe (picture 1)
- I top and tail gooseberries by nipping off the stalks and tails with my (clean!) finger nails, but you can use scissors or a knife if you prefer (see picture 2)
- When cooking the gooseberries, you want them to soften, but you don’t want them to completely turn to ‘mush’. Leave some of the skins intact for a bit of crunch in your Gooseberry Fool (see picture 3)
Looking for other low Smart Point Desserts?
This zero Smart Point Gooseberry Fool is the same recipe for Gooseberry Fool that I used prior to my Weight Watchers journey. I have just swapped the sugar for granulated sweetener and the full fat yogurt for fat free yogurt. It is just as creamy, thick and delicious 😀
Things you may need to make this recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh … and don’t forget to share it via the share buttons!
Zero Smart Point Gooseberry Fool
- 300 g fat free Greek yogurt I used Fage
- 250 g gooseberries
- 3 tbsp sweetener you may need more than this (see notes)
- 3 tbsp water
- Top and tail the gooseberries and place in a saucepan with the water. Heat over a low to medium heat, stirring until the gooseberries have started to split. Add the sweetener and continue to cook, squashing the gooseberries with the back on the spoon until they are soft. Remove from the heat.
- Taste the gooseberries and add more sweetener if needed. Place 3/4 of the fruit into a blender and whizz till smooth (if you don't have a blender, you can use a potato masher or a fork).
- Place the Greek yogurt into a bowl and gently fold in the pureed/mashed fruit. Spoon into serving bowls and top with the remaining fruit.