These tasty, filling Zero Point Baked Beans are perfect for anyone following the Weight Watchers Freestyle plan. They are easy to make and of all the homemade baked beans that I have tried, these are by far the best ones!
Baked Beans on toast is now back on my lunch time menu thanks to this Weight Watchers friendly recipe. Yay!
There are a number of zero point baked bean recipes doing the rounds of the internet. This is one of them – with a few tweaks to make them even tastier.
I have tried quite a few of the recipes for homemade baked beans, including these BBQ Baked Beans, but this recipe is my favourite by far and in my opinion, is the closest in taste to Heinz baked Beanz.
Most commercially made baked beans are made with haricot beans but I’ve also used cannellini beans to make this recipe before.
Play around with different beans to see what you prefer.
Heinz Baked Beanz are 3 Smart Points for 3 tablespoons.
I don’t know about you but I would never have just 3 tablespoons of baked beans!
With these homemade baked beans you can pile a great heap of them on top of 2 pieces of toasted Weight Watchers bread for a total of 3 Smart Points.
Add some half fat grated cheese on top of that and you’ve got yourself a tasty and very filling lunch.
I know making these beans is more hassle than just opening a tin of beans but you can cook up a batch and keep them covered in the fridge for 3 – 4 days or you can even freeze them in portion bags.
Give them a go! They really are good.
Zero Point Baked Beans
- 1 large tin haricot or cannollini beans drained NOT rinsed
- 1 small onion chopped finely
- 150 ml passata
- 50 ml water
- 1/2 stock cube crumbled
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 tsp paprika heaped
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- 1 - 2 tsp sweetener I used sukrin
- Place the chopped onion in a large frying pan with a splash of water and cook over a medium heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook for another 1 - 2 mins. You really don't want the onion or garlic to catch on the bottom of the pan so if you think it may, add another splash of water to prevent it from doing so.
- Add the mustard powder, paprika, crumbled stock cube and sweetener and mix.
- Add the passata, the water and the drained beans and mix. Leave to reduce, stirring occasionally, for approx 10 minutes or until you get the desired consistency.
- Serve as you normally would baked beans!