Egg salad is such a simple and quick dish and a real favourite with people following any of the Weight Watchers plans. It works out under 150 calories per cup serving.
A serving of this Egg Salad will work out between zero and 5 Points on the WW Personal Points Plan. You can find out exactly how many points this recipe will be for YOU by clicking on the blue button in recipe card at the bottom of the page!
If you still follow the old plan then this recipe works out at 1 SmartPoint per serving on the Blue and Purple plan and 5 SmartPoints for anyone following the Green plan.
By using a low fat mayonnaise option, using a touch of mustard & a sprinkling of paprika for added flavour and some crunchy green onions for texture, this dish has become a firm favourite WW lunch recipe of mine.
I like to eat a serving of it on top of a piece of Low Point Bread, open sandwich style, or alternatively as an addition to a fresh green salad.
Either way it is tasty, filling and best of all it is low in Points.
Please be aware that this post was written prior to Weight Watchers changing to the WW Personal Points Plan! You can discover exactly how many Personal Points this recipe will be for you by clicking on the blue ‘WW Personal Points’ button in the recipe card below.
Most people have their favourite 'go to' Egg Salad recipe (or egg mayo recipe) but they can be quite high in Points if you use standard mayonnaise.
If you were to use a standard mayo such as Hellmann's real mayonnaise the SmartPoint value of this recipe would increase by 3 SmartPoints per serving!
That means each portion would be 4 Smartpoints on the Blue and Purple plan and 8 SmartPoints on the Green plan!
By using a fat free / very low fat mayonnaise and jazzing it up with some additional flavours and some crunchy green onion (spring onions), you get the experience of a tasty homemade Egg Salad (of the pre WW days) but without the SmartPoints!
Which Mayonnaise should I use?
- Use Hellmann's Lighter than Light Mayonnaise for this recipe to work out at 1 SmartPoint per serving on the Blue and Purple plans and 5 SmartPoints per serving on the Green plan.
- Likewise, Kraft Fat Free Mayo works out at 1 SmartPoint for 2 tablespoons making this recipe 1 SmartPoint per serving on the Blue and Purple plans and 5 SmartPoint per serving on the Green plan.
- Hellman's Light Mayonnaise works out a little higher in SmartPoints. It would work out as 2 SmartPoints per portion on the Blue and Purple plan and 6 SmartPoints per portion on the Green plan.
Having problems peeling your eggs?
Like many people I have experienced the utter frustration at peeling eggs.
I have picked up many tips over the years some which seem to really help, some which seemed utterly pointless 😀 (so needless to say I haven't included those here!)
- Don't use very fresh eggs! The fresher the eggs, the harder they are to peel.
- Leave fresh eggs to sit in the fridge for several days before trying to hard boil them.
- If you do use very fresh eggs, add a little baking soda to the water to help the peeling process a little.
- Once boiled, if you are finding the eggs difficult to peel, crack the shell the whole way round then place them in some cold water to soak for a short time before trying to peel them again.
- A little like the tip above, place the eggs in a plastic container, add a little cold water, place the lid on the container and shake till the egg shells crack. Leave to soak for a few minutes before removing and peeling.
More WW Egg recipes!
With eggs being 'zero heroes' on the Blue and Purple plans, cooking with eggs is very popular amongst Weight Watchers.
These Devilled Eggs are particularly popular at zero SmartPoints on the Blue & Purple plans.
I absolutely LOVE this recipe for Baked Egg Custard which works out at 3 SmartPoints per desert on the Blue and Purple plans and 4 SmartPoints on the Green plan.
Lastly, these Scotch Eggs are a little fiddly to prepare but make the most fantastic low point and filling lunch.
Personal Points in Egg Salad!
If you follow the new WW Personal Points plan, a serving of this tasty egg salad will be between 0 and 5 Personal Points.
To find out how many Personal Points this recipe will be for you, click on the WW Personal Points button in the recipe card below. You can now even track it in the WW App straight from this site!
Egg Salad | Weight Watchers
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 tablespoons fat free / low fat mayonnaise see notes
- 2 green onions / spring onions chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- Salt & pepper tp taste
- Place the eggs in a saucepan with enough cold water to just cover them.
- Bring the water to a rapid boil & then remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Cover the saucepan and leave to sit for 12 minutes.
- After 12 minutes of sitting in the hot water the eggs should be hard boiled and can be carefully removed.
- Cool under cold running water and then peel.
- Chop up the eggs and place in a bowl with the chopped onions,
- In a separate bowl combine the mayonnaise, paprika & mustard.
- Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the eggs and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a sprinkling of paprika on top.