This tasty & filling Pasta Bolognese recipe is just 8 SmartPoints on Weight Watchers Freestyle / Flex plan. By using extra lean minced beef (ground beef) the points value of this Bolognese sauce is reduced significantly in comparison to a ‘full fat’ version.
Sometimes I just want a big bowl of pasta topped with a rich pasta sauce.
Now I can with this Weight Watcher friendly recipe for Pasta Bolognese.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
Extra lean minced beef works out at 2 SmartPoints per 100g whereas ‘full fat’ minced beef works out at 7 SmartPoints, so make sure to use extra lean minced beef.
I don't find a huge taste difference between the two and I’ve even started to prefer the extra lean - I find it less greasy!
Traditionally with Bolognese recipes, the minced beef, onions and garlic are cooked in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil before the rest of the ingredients are added.
It is up to you whether you use white pasta or wholewheat pasta in this recipe - they have the same points values. I used white Penne pasta for this recipe.
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh ... and don't forget to share it via the share buttons!
- 400 g Lean beef mince/ ground beef (5% fat)
- 4 Bacon medallions finely chopped
- Fry Light
- 2 Garlic cloves crushed
- 1 Red pepper deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 Yellow pepper deseeded & finely chopped
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 2 Tinned chopped tomatoes 2 x 400g tins
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 240 g Pasta
- Basil to garnish
- Heat a large saucepan over a high heat. Add 5 or 6 sprays of Frylight (spray oil) and add the minced (ground) beef and chopped bacon medallions. Using a fork break up the beef and cook till it has turned brown. Add the crushed garlic and the chopped onion and cook for a further 2 - 3 minutes before adding the chopped peppers, tomato purée & tinned chopped tomatoes.
- Stir well and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat & cook on a low simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Prepare the pasta in lightly salted water according to the packet instructions. Once cooked, drain the pasta well before dividing into 4 bowls.
- Taste the Bolognese sauce & season with salt & pepper if required before spooning over the pasta. Top with torn up basil leaves.