This easy, simple to make Chocolate Hummus is 4 SmartPoints per portion if you follow the Weight Watchers Blue or Purple plan.
It is 6 SmartPoints per portion if you follow the Weight Watchers Green plan.
It's chocolatey, smooth and perfect for dipping apple slices, pretzels, strawberries and even fingers! Take a look below to see the recipe and tips for making the perfect chocolate hummus.
So ... chocolate hummus?! It's taken me some time to get my head around a sweet version of one of my favourite savoury dips!
For months & months I've been seeing mention of Chocolate Hummus on Weight Watchers social media forums and I must admit I wasn't particularly interested in trying it.
In fact, to be truthful, I was 100% not interested in trying it!
But .... when I was in North American recently I spotted one of the (widely talked about) shop made versions, so I was brave, I brought it, tried it and I was very pleasantly surprised.
When I got home I decided to make my own version. I've tried a few different recipes but am happiest with this one.
It's sweet, very chocolatey and has a consistency that is thick enough to 'coat' whatever is being dipped into it.
The recipe below makes a large cupful of Chocolate Hummus. You get about ¼ of a cup for 4 SmartPoints (equivalent of about 4 level tablespoons).
It's easy as 1, 2, 3 ...
Tips for making chocolate hummus:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly before using.
- I used vanilla bean paste but use vanilla essence if you prefer.
- I used honey to sweeten this chocolate hummus, but I've also made it with maple syrup which is just as good.
- Blend / puree on a high speed for a few minute for ultra smooth hummus, scraping down the sides of the processor with a spatula every now and again.
- Add the liquid bit by bit until you reach the consistency that you want. I tend to use 3 tablespoons of milk and then add a little bit of water until it thickly coats the back of a spatula.
What I used to make chocolate hummus:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
I used Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste, available from Amazon.
How to eat chocolate hummus!
- Use it as a dip for sliced apples, strawberries, pretzels, fingers etc!
- Spread it on toast.
- Use it as a chocolatey topping for pancakes.
Chocolate Hummus | Weight Watchers
- 1 tin chickpeas / garbanzo beans 240g when drained
- 3 tbsp honey
- ½ tsp vanilla bean paste /vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp skimmed milk optional
- 3 tbsp water optional
- 1 tsp white chocolate stars optional
- Place the chickpeas, honey, vanilla, salt and cocoa in a food processor and blend. Add the milk (& then water) tablespoon by tablespoon until you get a consistency that you like.
- Place in a serving dish and decorate with white chocolate stars (optional). Serve with sliced apples, strawberries and pretzels.