This easy, simple to make Chocolate Hummus is 4 SmartPoints per portion. It’s chocolatey, smooth and perfect for dipping apple slices, pretzels, strawberries and even fingers! Take a look below to see the recipe and tips for making the perfect chocolate hummus.
So … chocolate hummus?! It’s taken me some time to get my head around a sweet version of one of my favourite savoury dips!
For months & months I’ve been seeing mention of Chocolate Hummus on Weight Watchers social media forums and I must admit I wasn’t particularly interested in trying it.
In fact, to be truthful, I was 100% not interested in trying it!
But …. when I was in North American recently I spotted one of the (widely talked about ????) shop made versions, so I was brave, I brought it, tried it and I was very pleasantly surprised.
When I got home I decided to make my own version. I’ve tried a few different recipes but am happiest with this one.
It’s sweet, very chocolatey and has a consistency that is thick enough to ‘coat’ whatever is being dipped into it.
The recipe below makes a large cupful of Chocolate Hummus. You get about 1/4 of a cup for 4 SmartPoints (equivalent of about 4 level tablespoons).
It’s easy as 1, 2, 3 …
Tips for making chocolate hummus:
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas thoroughly before using.
- I used vanilla bean paste but use vanilla essence if you prefer.
- I used honey to sweeten this chocolate hummus, but I’ve also made it with maple syrup which is just as good.
- Blend / puree on a high speed for a few minute for ultra smooth hummus, scraping down the sides of the processor with a spatula every now and again.
- Add the liquid bit by bit until you reach the consistency that you want. I tend to use 3 tablespoons of milk and then add a little bit of water until it thickly coats the back of a spatula.
What I used to make chocolate hummus:
I used Taylor & Colledge Vanilla Bean Paste, available from Amazon.
How to eat chocolate hummus!
- Use it as a dip for sliced apples, strawberries, pretzels, fingers etc!
- Spread it on toast.
- Use it as a chocolatey topping for pancakes.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit this page to see what that means.
Did you try this recipe?
If you did and you loved it please give it a star rating below!
Oh … and don’t forget to share it via the share buttons!
Chocolate Hummus | Weight Watchers
- 1 tin chickpeas / garbanzo beans 240g when drained
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste /vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp skimmed milk optional
- 3 tbsp water optional
- 1 tsp white chocolate stars optional
- Place the chickpeas, honey, vanilla, salt and cocoa in a food processor and blend. Add the milk (& then water) tablespoon by tablespoon until you get a consistency that you like.
- Place in a serving dish and decorate with white chocolate stars (optional). Serve with sliced apples, strawberries and pretzels.