This Buffalo Chicken Dip is zero Smart Points per serving on Weight Watchers Freestyle plan! It is also zero SmartPoints on myWW Blue plan & myWW Purple plan. Using just 4 ingredients it’s an easy to make, spicy, versatile recipe.
With a fraction of the Smart Points of a classic Buffalo Chicken Dip this tasty recipe can be made in an Instant Pot or Crock Pot. A perfect Weight Watchers snack recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means!
For anyone who loves spice, this is the recipe for you!
The main ingredient in this recipe, apart from chicken of course, is hot sauce! Two thirds of a cup of hot sauce to be precise!
When I first made this dish a couple of years ago, I did so after reading a post on Facebook with very vague instructions on how it was made. I grabbed a bottle of hot sauce out of my fridge and used that 😀
Not all hot sauces are made equal! The one that I used that day was just so hot. I must admit, I did still eat it but just with LOADS of yogurt stirred in!
I’ve since made this dish a number of different ways. And to my mind, this recipe is the easiest, with just 4 ingredients (5 including the water 😀 ) and the clincher is that it is zero Smart Points!
Now, it’s not the creamy, cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip that you may be used to but it’s tasty, filling and have I said … it’s ZERO Smart Points on the myWW Blue & Purple plans!!!
I would suggest using Franks RedHot Wings Sauce . Unless of course you are a hot sauce connoisseur and have a different hot sauce that you prefer … and can handle!
How many SmartPoints in Buffalo Chicken?
Weight Watchers changed their program at the end of 2019. It now includes 3 individual plans, giving anyone following the WW program lots of choice about how they use their SmartPoint allocation.
Using the official WW recipe builder I have worked out the SmartPoints for this Buffalo Chicken Dip for each of the plans.
- Freestyle – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Blue Plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Purple Plan – 0 SmartPoints per portion
- myWW Green Plan – 2 SmartPoints per portion
What is Buffalo Chicken?
So Buffalo Chicken (or Buffalo Wings or Hot Wings as it is often called) is a dish originating from the US.
It’s chicken that is deep fried in oil till browned, then dipped in butter and a hot sauce prior to serving. It tends to be accompanied with a ranch dressing and celery and carrot sticks.
Unfortunately, Buffalo Chicken cooked this way is high in Smart Points because of the oil that it is fried in and the butter that it is coated in.
Lots of recipes for Buffalo Chicken can be found on the Internet along with many recipes for Buffalo Chicken Dip.
However, most of the recipes for Buffalo Chicken Dip include mountains of cheese, lots of creamy ranch dressing and blocks of full fat cream cheese!
Unfortunately, with those ingredients, the Smart Points are really high!
So, this Buffalo Chicken Dip is just made with chicken, hot sauce, ranch seasoning and fat free yogurt. Although, it’s not the creamy, cheesy version, it is a fraction of the Smart Points and still tastes really good.
Serving Buffalo Chicken Dip
This recipe makes about 3 cups of Buffalo Chicken Dip. Each serving is about 1/2 cup of dip. Two servings of dip (1 cup) would need to be tracked as 1 Smart Point (although only equates to 1/2 Smart Point!).
Serve with one of these Low SmartPoint Chips . Alternatively toast some pitta breads or tortilla wraps to make your own low point ‘chips’.
I’ve also used carrot sticks and celery sticks for dipping and these of course are zero Smart Points making it a perfect zero point snack.
Of course, this Weight Watchers friendly Buffalo Chicken Dip doesn’t just need to be used as a dip! It can also be served with a small portion of rice for an easy & filling evening meal.
Or it can be used as a filling for a baked potato. Top with a spoonful of yogurt and some chili pepper and serve with a side salad and you’ve got a tasty lowish point dinner (or zero SmartPoint meal if you are following myWW Purple plan).
Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
I tend to use my Instant Pot to make this dish as it is just so simple to do!
- Place the skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot and pour over the hot sauce and water (picture 1)
- Cook for 15 minutes using the pressure cook setting (picture 2)
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and mix so that it is covered with the hot sauce (pictures 3 & 4)
- Add yogurt and ranch dressing seasoning (picture 5)
- Serve as a dip or with rice, in a baked potato, in wraps etc!
Crock Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
If you want to use a Crock Pot (or Instant Pot on slow cook setting) then that’s pretty easy too. You get a lovely fall apart shredded chicken using this method.
- Add the chicken, hot sauce and water into the Crock Pot and cook on low for 7 – 8 hours.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken and then stir in the yogurt and ranch dressing mix.
Can I freeze Buffalo Chicken Dip
I do not know whether this Buffalo Chicken Dip would freeze. As it is so easy to make in the Instant Pot, I just make it from scratch whenever I feel a craving!
How long does it last in the fridge?
This dip keeps in the fridge for a couple of days.
- 2 large chicken breasts (skinless & boneless)
- 2/3 cup Franks RedHot Wings sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 3 - 4 tablespoons fat free natural yogurt
- 4 teaspoons ranch dressing mix ( I use Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix)
Instant Pot Method
- Place the skinless boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Pour over the hot sauce and water
- Close and lock the lid and select high pressure.
- Set the timer for 15 minutes. The pressure will build over 8 - 10 minutes.
- Once the 15 minute cooking time is up, allow the pressure to release using the natural-release method.
- Remove the lid and use two forks to shred the chicken.
- Add the ranch dressing mix and 3 or 4 tablespoons of fat free yogurt (more if desired) and mix to combine.
- Serve as a dip or as a topping for a baked potato.
Crock Pot Method
- Place the skinless boneless chicken breasts in the bottom of the Crock Pot.
- Pour over the hot sauce and the water.
- Cook on low for 7 - 8 hours.
- Remove the lid and use two forks the shred the chicken.
- Stir in the ranch dressing mix and 3 - 4 tablespoons of fat free yogurt.
- Serve as a dip or as a topping for a baked potato.
Cooking times may vary if batch cooking this recipe. In that case refer to manufacturers instructions.
The Smart Points have been worked out using the ingredients suggested. If you substitute any ingredient, please ensure that you work out the Smart Points using the WW online App recipe builder.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Hidden Valley Original Ranch Seasoning and Salad Dressing Mix, 16 Ounce (Pack of 2)
- Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi- Use Programmable Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Yogurt Maker, Cake Maker, Egg Cooker, Sauté, Steamer, Warmer, and Sterilizer
- Frank's RedHot Hot Buffalo Wings Sauce, 12 fl oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 79Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 896mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 13g
Please be aware that the nutritional information above has been automatically generated and does not account for variations in product brands and types, weights of individual ingredients etc. It should therefore be considered as an estimate. PointedKitchen.com has calculated Weight Watchers Smart Points based on the individual ingredients used to make this recipe and not from the following nutritional information. PointedKitchen.com is not responsible for any loss or damage relating to your reliance on this nutritional information.