This deliciously tasty and simple to make Asparagus & Brie Frittata is just 4 SmartPoints per serving on Weight Watchers Freestyle plan.
For your 4 SmartPoints you get one quarter of the Frittata which is plenty to keep you satisfied till dinner!
Frittata is such a great Weight Watchers lunch!
It is simple to make, it is tasty and it is extremely filling. It can be eaten warm or can be served cold with a side salad.
I decided to make this frittata flavour combination as I had some ripening brie in the fridge that was left over from Christmas.
It may well have walked if I hadn’t eaten it soon.
And what goes well with brie – asparagus!
I’ve eaten brie and asparagus tart (with lots of buttery pastry!) so I thought I’d combine these flavours in a frittata.
In my mind the stronger the brie the better but I am sure the frittata would work just as well with a milder brie!
How to make this Asparagus and Brie Frittata:
- Plunge the asparagus tips into a pan of simmering water for 1 minute. Remove from the hot water and place in a bowl of cold water to prevent them cooking further and turning to mush!
- If the asparagus tips that you are using for this recipe are much thicker than the ones in Picture 2, you may need to cook them for a little longer (but they shouldn’t need any longer than 2 – 2 1/2 minutes in total)
- Saute the onions until they have softened and have started to turn golden brown (Picture 3)
- Remove the asparagus tips from the cold water and add them to the pan of onions (Picture 4)
- Pour in the whisked & seasoned eggs & milk (Picture 4)
- I did not remove the rind from the brie before chopping it up and adding it to the frittata. Obviously, this is a personal choice, so you may like to de-rind the cheese before adding.
- I found that it was best to cook the frittata for 5 or 6 minutes before adding the cheese. This meant that the cheese didn’t just sink to the bottom of the pan, there was a bit of cooked egg that the pieces could ‘perch’ on (Picture 5)
- Cook on the stove top for another 3 or 4 minutes before transferring the whole pan to the grill to set the top of the frittata.
What I used to make this Asparagus and Brie Frittata:
As you grill frittata, it is essential that you use a frying pan / skillet with a metal or cast iron handle. I used my Everglide Neverstick pan to make this frittata, available from Amazon.
Alternatives to try:
- Whether you use ripe brie or mild brie is up to you.
- Either remove the rind from the cheese or leave it on, whatever is your preference!
- Use red onion instead of brown onion for added colour.
- Try 2 – 3 shallots rather than 1 onion for a milder taste.
- Use Light Brie and reduce the SmartPoints by 1 point per serving.
This post contains affiliate links. Visit this page to see what that means.
Asparagus & Brie Frittata
- 1 bunch asparagus tips approx 100g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 8 medium eggs
- 3 tbsp skimmed milk
- salt and pepper
- 80 g brie torn into 8 pieces
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to the boil. Reduce to a fast simmer and immerse the asparagus tips. After 1 minute remove the asparagus from the pan and place them in a bowl of cold water to stop them over cooking and becoming mushy!
- Whisk the eggs together with the milk and add a good few pinches of salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a non stick frying pan (with a metal handle) and saute the onions for 6 - 8 minutes until they have softened and started to brown.
- Add the asparagus tips to the onions and pour on the whisked eggs.
- Cook on the hob over a medium heat for 5 minutes until it has started to set. Add the pieces of cheese and continue cooking for a further 3 - 4 minutes.
- Preheat your grill to medium / high and transfer the pan to the grill for 3 or 4 minutes until the top of the frittata sets and becomes golden.
- Serve warm with green salad.