This Zero Point Tzatziki is a tasty dip and makes a great accompaniment to grilled meat or fish. It is zero SmartPoints per portion on Weight Watchers Freestyle plan, WW Blue plan and WW Purple plan. It is 3 SmartPoints per serving on WW Green plan.
My favourite way to serve this creamy Tzatziki is smothered over Zero Point Butternut Squash Falafels in toasted Pitta bread.
Tzatziki, a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine, makes a fantastic accompaniment to grilled meat and fish.
However, it's also served in Turkey and Greece as a meze or a dip for bread.
It's extremely easy to make, but you do need to follow a few steps to prevent you ending up with a watery mess!
Tips for making Zero Point Tzatziki:
- The majority of the water in a cucumber is found in the seeds. It's therefore, really important that they are removed from the middle of the cucumber before grating (pic 1)
- Remove the seeds by running a tea spoon down the middle of the cucumber
- It is up to you whether you peel the cucumber or not! I tend to if the skin is thick but I don't bother if the skin is nice and thin.
- Grate the cucumber using a coarse grater
- Quite a bit of water will be released from the cucumber when you grate it. To release even more of the water, place the cucumber in a clean tea towel (pic 2) and squeeze out as much of the excess liquid as you can before moving on to the next step
- Place the grated cucumber in a bowl with some finely chopped mint (if using) and minced garlic. Add lemon juice and salt and stir.
- Fold in the yogurt (pic 4).
- Taste and season further if needed.
- Swap the mint for a tablespoon of chopped fresh dill.
- Use a mixture of chopped mint and chopped dill.
- If you don't like Greek yogurt you can use fat free natural yogurt instead.
How many SmartPoints in Tzatziki
Store brought Tzatziki can be quite high in SmartPoints so that's why I love to make this Tzatziki from fresh.
Weight Watchers changed their program at the end of 2019. It now includes 3 individual plans, giving anyone following the WW program lots of choice about how they use their SmartPoint allocation.
Using the official WW recipe builder I have worked out the SmartPoints for this Tzatziki for each of the plans.
- Freestyle Plan - 0 SmartPoint per serving
- myWW Blue Plan - 0 SmartPoints per serving
- myWW Purple Plan - 0 SmartPoints per serving
- myWW Green Plan - 3 SmartPoints per serving
What I used to make Tzatziki:
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit this page to see what that means.
I used a coarse greater like this one, available from Amazon, to grate the cucumber.
I love my Oxo Good Grip Garlic Press, available from Amazon.
- ½ large cucumber
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tub fat free Greek yogurt, (500g)
- ½ lemon
- 2 - 3 fresh mint leaves, optional
- ½ tsp salt
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthways. Use a teaspoon to scrape the seeds from the middle of the cucumber. This is where most of the water content is in the cucumber. It is up to you whether you peel the cucumber or not - sometimes I do, sometimes I don't!
- Grate the cucumber using a coarse grater.
- Place the grated cucumber in a clean tea towel and gently squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can.
- Place the grated cucumber in a bowl with the minced garlic, chopped mint (if using), the juice from ½ a lemon and the salt. Mix together before stirring in a tub of fat free Greek yogurt.
- Serve as an accompaniment to grilled fish and meat or as a dip.
Please be aware that the nutritional information below has been automatically generated and does not account for variations in product brands and types, weights of individual ingredients etc. It should therefore be considered as an estimate.
PointedKitchen.com has calculated Weight Watchers Smart Points based on the individual ingredients used to make this recipe and not from the following nutritional information.
PointedKitchen.com is not responsible for any loss or damage relating to your reliance on this nutritional information.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 84Cholesterol: 6mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 7gSugar: 4gProtein: 13g